How often do you get in the gym and don’t know what to workout? What about afterwards? Have you ever left feeling like you didn’t do anything? Maybe on the contrary, did you do too much and regret it the next day?
No matter the level of fitness you’re on we have all felt this way at least a couple times in our lives. A lot of people still wonder whether there is any relief to these predicaments. Fortunately, experienced trainers will probably tell you there are a number of things you can do to reduce the likeliness of these occurences. In fact, they’ll even go as far as helping you reduce the negative impact of the experience.
As a result, I’m here to share with you 3 important steps to having a great workout.
Make A Plan
- Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals – Try to make your goals specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time manageable. (More in-depth post on this coming soon) Setting the right goals will make sure you are ready to achieve them and that you have the knowledge and accountability in place to maintain them.
- Outline your workouts – It is very helpful to schedule your workouts so that you track every muscle group you train and how often you train it. You should workout every major muscle group at least once so plan accordingly. You want to include enough days to work on that while giving yourself adequate time to rest.
Warm-up, Workout, Cool Down
- Warm-up by doing some dynamic stretching, walking, or warm-up exercises in order to wake up the nervous system and prepare the body for activity.
- Execute your workouts with proper form and try to engage all muscles involved in the workout.
- Take the time to stretch afterwards to reduce recovery time and soreness.
- Make sure to rest adequately after working out. Get accustomed to scheduling rest days. Listen to your body and take a break when you aren’t outputting the same range of energy your used to. Stretch after every workout and before you go to bed. You will feel less sore and a lot better the next day.
The central part of my training for basketball is core, balance, and functional movements. I'm very particular about my program and above all else I try to make sure to take care of my body. I'm not necessarily looking for large gains in strength without the ability to move efficiently. It takes alot of effort to improve in all of the aspects I need to be as successful as I can be. Therefore, it is and always has been important for me to love the process. As a result, for the past year I've been able to see significant improvements to my flexibility and balance all while getting back to the strongest I've ever been. It's been an exhilarating experience but there is certainly more to come 😉
Now you have it! Three steps towards a great workout! Have fun out there and take care of your body!
Thanks for reading!